TAKE ACTION NOW!
- Participate and/or Volunteer at one of our “upcoming events.” Check out and join our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stopplastics/
- Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stopplasticstoronto/
- Sign our Petitionto ban an expanded list of single use plastics in Toronto: https://chng.it/kPjTHgQRLC
- Contact your MP by writing a letter or email to let them know you want a ban on all single-use plastics. Search for your MP by postal code: https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en
- Contact your MPP by writing a letter or email to let tell them that it is in their power to ban single-use plastics. The following Provinces and Territories have already banned the plastic bag: Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland & Labrador, Yukon, Northwest Territories. Search for your MPP by postal code: https://www.ola.org/en/members/current/contact-information
- Contact your local City Councillor by writing a letter or email to let them know you want a ban on all single-use plastics. Search for your Toronto City Councillors by postal code: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/council/members-of-council/
- Letter and Email Writing Tips: Keep letter or email short, catchy and to the point. Mention things we are encouraged by (such as the federal government proposal to ban some types of single use plastic such as plastic grocery bags, straws, six-pack rings, stir sticks, cutlery and some take out containers) but this does not go far enough. We need bans on all types of single use plastic be banned including non-grocery store bags, water bottles, food packaging, plastic cups and lids, coffee cups, cigarette filters, etc. All levels of government can take action!
- At Home and Work: reduce your household’s use of disposable plastics, always ask local stores if they use paper bags and have adopted “ask first” policy to take-out items., use reusable bags and recycle your old plastic bags, at your workplace get management to ban water bottles and other non-reusable plastic products (other than for essential purposes such as in hospitals.)
- Spread the word on Social Media and Local Stores & Businesses!