What you can do
If you live in Toronto, lobby your councillor
- Lobby your city councillor to get them to ban plastic bags outright as other municipalities and countries have done.
- Click here to find your Ward and the name and email address of your Councillor. (You can use Search by address or postal code if you don't know your Ward.)
Ask your councillor to sign our pledge which you can download to print (PDF) to support a ban of single-use plastic bags. If possible, deliver the pledge in person or else mail it to them.
- StopPlastics has prepared some materials for you to use to lobby your councillor:
- Volunteer to work with StopPlastics to organize lobbyists. Use the contact form to send us a message.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, replace
- Stop using bottled water other than for essential purposes (e.g. as a source of water during an extreme weather event) https://www.banthebottle.net/bottled-water-facts/
- Reduce your household's use of disposable plastics.
- Use reusable bags and recycle your old plastic bags.
- At your workplace get management to ban water bottles and other non-reusable plastic products (other than for essential purposes such as in hospitals.)