What you can do
Lobby your councillor
- Lobby your city councillor to get them to ban plastic bags outright as other municipalities and countries have done.
- Check whether your councillor has signed the pledge to support a ban of single-use plastic bags. If they haven't, ask them to support a ban.
- StopPlastics has prepared some materials for you to use to lobby your councillor:
- Volunteer to work with StopPlastics to organize lobbyists.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, replace
- Stop using bottled water other than for essential purposes (e.g. as a source of water during an extreme weather event)
- Reduce your household's use of disposable plastics
- Use reusable bags and recycle your old plastic bags.
- At your workplace get management to ban water bottles and other non-reusable plastic products (other than for essential purposes such as in hospitals.)